Wednesday 31 July 2013

Elo’s Philly Grill, Seattle, Washington

Located in an industrial section of south Seattle, Elo’s Philly Grill is basically a hole-in-the-wall. A faux-woodgrained, worn-linoleum, hole-in-a-wall that is covered in positively awful art. I was taught to not judge a book by its cover. I also don’t judge by an angry owner who doesn’t want me to take pictures and won’t tell me her name. But here’s what matters to me… far from being a fan of the Philly cheesesteak which I’ve generally found to have a gritty texture, I am a fan of the Boston cheesesteak that I grew up with. Usually made in Italian pizza shops all over the Boston area, it’s a perfectly balanced steak and cheese sub, filled with freshness and flavor. I have search high and low in Seattle, and Elo’s Philly Grill is the only place that approximates what I miss from home. I can’t speak for ANY of the other food on the menu other than this: I order a Steak, Cheese and Mushroom sub with mayo, lettuce, tomato, and raw onions. Then before the proprietor wraps it in foil, i give it a good shake of salt and pepper. A little olive oil would be nice too to approximate home, but that’s not to be had at Elo’s. The sandwich needs to be eaten quickly. It only has a shelf life of 3-5 minutes, so I wouldn’t do take out. It’s balanced, it’s flavorful, it’s warm, it’s hearty, it’s a steak sandwich like they still make back in Brookline, Massachusetts where I grew up. And it’s delicious. (Feel free to get cooked onions, remove the mayo, add peppers if you must, but stay close to my formula for the best results.)

3431 Airport Way South Seattle, WA 98134-2119, (206) 467-8989, website This entry was posted on Friday, November 11th, 2011 at 1:30 pm and is filed under Photos, Restaurants, Seattle, SeattlePI. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.


View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment